Our cruise is coming up next month, and I signed up for the Family Fish Extender for our sailing. What are Fish Extenders? Well, they are little gifts you leave for your shipmates as a fun way to spread a little pixie dust. 🙂
This is our first Disney cruise, so I was a little lost as to what to do for Fish Extenders. I did a lot of Googling, and came up with a few ideas, including this easy project I found on Disney Parks Blog. I had most of the supplies on hand, I just needed the glass tiles and magnets! I went out the other day to purchase those, and picked up some sheets of scrapbooking paper, as well.
Hey, I am one of the most uncrafty people I know, and I can do these! If I can do them, you can do them. Here’s a brief tutorial of how I made these surprisingly easy magnets.
- 1″ hole punch (found in the scrapbooking section of your local crafts store)
- Mod Podge water based sealer & glue
- 1″ glass mosaic tiles (be sure they are mosaic tiles and not the decorative glass rocks for floral jars – I made this mistake in the beginning.)
- Disney Parks maps or Disney scrapbook paper
- Super glue (I used Gorilla Super Glue)
- 3/4″ round magnets
- Sponge brush
- Using a 1″ hold punch, punch out some of your favorite attractions on your Disney Parks maps, or punch out some super cute icons from scrapbook paper.
- Use the sponge brush to apply the Mod Podge to the top side of your circle cut out, adhere to the flat part of a glass mosaic tile
- Brush a bit more of the Mod Podge on the bottom/back of the circle cut out to seal the sides
- Allow time to dry – I let these dry for a couple of hours
- Apply a small amount of super glue and attach a magnet, press firmly
- Allow time to dry – the glue I used took a while to dry, so I let them set out overnight.
You may have to wipe the finished product off, in case you got a little bit of Mod Podge on the top of the glass. These make very simple and creative gifts for people, including Fish Extender gifts for your shipmates!
I have another Fish Extender craft to do later this week. It doesn’t look quite as easy as this did, but still fairly simple. Stay tuned!